The Queer Newark Oral History Project (QNOHP) is a community-based and community directed initiative dedicated to preserving the history of Queer Newark.
Statement of Principles:
The Queer Newark Oral History Project is community based and community directed. We are committed to inclusivity and access.
Our aims include the following:
· Interview the full diversity of members of Newark’s LGBT community.
· Engage LGBT Newark youth in interviewing each other as well as LGBT adult Newark community; mentor LGBT Newark youth to ready them for career and higher education opportunities.
· Engage college and university students and faculty in interviewing, cataloging, transcribing, publicizing, organizing, or other tasks that will facilitate the growth of the Queer Newark Oral History Project.
· Cement collaboration between Newark’s LGBT political, service, and faith organizations and Newark and Newark-area colleges and universities on the Queer Newark Oral History Project.
· Encourage LGBT Newark and former Newark residents to donate their papers and other artifacts to our growing collection of Queer Newark
· QNOHP seeks to interview people whose lives connect to the history and experiences of LGBT Newark;
· To transcribe interviews so that they are searchable and easily usable for community members, activists, scholars, artists, or anyone else with an interest in Queer Newark;
· To preserve interviews, as well as whatever papers and artifacts we can collect about QueerNewark, in a permanent, catalogued, archival facility (most likely Dana Library, Rutgers-Newark);
· To make interviews and artifacts will be accessible through digitalization;
· To collect, catalog, and make accessible existing interviews of LGBT Newark residents and former residents.
For more information regarding the oral history project, please email Professor Beryl Satter or Darnell L. Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org
See below for Darnell Moore's interview by the Center for Race and Ethnicity at Rutgers-New Brunswick about the Queer Newark Oral History Project.
Interested in Being Interviewed by the
Oral History Project?
If you'd like to be interviewed by the
Queer Newark Oral History Project (QNOHP),
please write to us.