Welcome! Thank you for visiting the website of the Queer Newark Oral History Project. We are working to tell our community’s stories in the words of its trailblazers and legends, by collecting audio-recorded oral history interviews. We hope you enjoy your visit - and consider sharing your own story with one of our trained project staff.
As a community-based and community-directed initiative supported by Rutgers University-Newark, QNOHP is dedicated to preserving the history of LGBTQ people and communities in Newark, New Jersey.
This website offers clips from some interviews we’ve already collected, a look at some of the primary-source documents we’ve archived, as well as a repository of published work on LGBTQ Newark by academic researchers and community members.
Video by Timothy Stewart-Winter
News and Media Mentions
- Queer Newark Oral History Project Wins Clement A. Price Human Dignity Award, April 13, 2016
- "The History of LGBTQ Club Spaces," December 5, 2014 (WBGO)
- “Rutgers Newark to Honor Essex County's Role in LGBT Solidarity With Events,” October 6, 2014 (PATCH.COM)
- “Sanctuary” series to feature month-long event schedule celebrating the LGBT Newark club, ballroom, and party scenes," September 19, 2014 (BRICK CITY LIVE)
- “Gays in Newark: Our Stories, Our Lives,” December 11, 2011 (NJ.COM)