Queer Newark Oral History Project
Welcome! Thank you for visiting the website of the Queer Newark Oral History Project. We are working to tell our community's stories in the words of its trailblazers and legends, by collecting audio-recorded oral history interviews. We hope you enjoy your visit - and consider sharing your own story with one of our trained project staff.
This website features interviews that we've already collected, a look at some of the primary-source documents we've archived, as well as a repository of published work on LGBTQ Newark by academic researchers and community members.
News and Media Mentions
- "LGBTQ+ students should see themselves represented in history, too", September 01, 2022
- "Audible.com Hosts Queer Newark History Exhibit", June 26, 2019
- "The Queer Newark Oral History Project, August 15, 2018 (GET OUT!)
- "The Brick City’s Queer Oral History Project shines light on black LGBT past" April 22, 2017 (OUT IN JERSEY)
- "Recording Newark's LGBTQ Community's Past and Present," (One on One with Steve Adubato), December 5, 2016
- "How N.J.'s LGBT-friendly clubs have long strived for safety," June 20, 2016 (NJ.COM)
- Queer Newark Oral History Project Wins Clement A. Price Human Dignity Award, April 13, 2016
- "The History of LGBTQ Club Spaces," December 5, 2014 (WBGO)
- "Rutgers Newark to Honor Essex County's Role in LGBT Solidarity With Events," October 6, 2014 (PATCH.COM)
- "Sanctuary" series to feature month-long event schedule celebrating the LGBT Newark club, ballroom, and party scenes, September 19, 2014 (BRICK CITY LIVE)
- "Gays in Newark: Our Stories, Our Lives," December 11, 2011 (NJ.COM)